[Python-Dev] query: docstring formatting in python distutils code

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Thu Jul 8 23:21:45 CEST 2010

Am 08.07.2010 17:44, schrieb Martin Geisler:
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
>
>> Martin Geisler wrote:

>>> I would be happy to relicense it under the Python license.
>>
>> I believe the ideal outcome, if it is possible, is for you to sign a
>> contributor agreement. This will license your material to the PSF in
>> such a way that we can release it under whatever license we deem
>> necessary.
>
> Sure, I'll be happy to sign a contributor agreement if you guys think it
> worthwhile to use my little parser and formatter.

Problem is, in the case of help() we have no way of knowing whether the
given __doc__ string is supposed to be (mini)reST.  Of course, reverting
to showing the plain content on parsing errors is one possibility, but
I can still imagine instances where something is successfully interpreted
as reST, but intended to be read and understood verbatim by the author.

It's different for Hg, of course, there you can just decide that help
texts have to be reST.

Georg