[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration readiness

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 01:47:32 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

>> > After the switch, hg.python.org/cpython will be the official repo, and
>> > code.python.org/hg will probably be closed.
>>
>> Why this transition is not described in PEP?
>
> Because it's not a transition. It's a mirror. It was put in place
> before the hg migration plan was accepted, IIRC.

Where is this migration plan then if it is not in PEP?

>> How code.python.org/hg is synchronized with Subversion?
>
> What does your question mean exactly? It's a mirror (well, a set of
> mirrors) and is synchronized roughly every 5 minutes.

Method. Software used, which parameters are set for it, how to repeat
the process?

>> Why it is not possible to leave code.python.org/hg as is in slave mode
>> and then realtime replication is ready just switch master/slave over?
>
> The two sets of repositories use different conversion tools and rules.
> They have nothing in common (different changeset IDs, different
> metadata, different branch/clone layout).

That would be nice to hear about in more detail. As I understand there
is no place where it is described. I already see +1 from Fred Drake
and another +1 from Steve Holden down the thread.

However, Antoine Pitrou, Dirkjan Ochtman and Jesse Noller object. They
afraid that contributors won't survive low-level details about
Mercurial migration. I'd say there a plenty of ways isolate them and
at the same time satisfy "Mercurial aficionados" either on the same
page or in different places.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> There is no reason at this point to suppose the transition can't be
> complete by the end of summer.  However, as always, the devil is in
> the details, and one of them may be a showstopper.  We'll just have to
> see about that.

The transition can be complete in a few minutes. The question is how
good it will be. As there are no plan, no roadmap, no status - it is
hard to judge if it is feasible at all.

Ok. Given that nobody is able/willing to say anything more - I've
gathered all your feedback concerning current status of Mercurial
migration on this Wave -
https://wave.google.com/wave/waveref/googlewave.com/w+4_fnAVHwA  I
hope you will find the time to enhance it with more info so not
contributors proficient with Mercurial could help to speed up the
transition.

--
anatoly t.