[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration readiness

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Sun Jul 4 14:55:50 CEST 2010

> I'm not sure if I misunderstand Martin's intent, but in principle, if you
> want to merge one changes (not changesets!) branch into another, all you
> need to do would be "hg merge <otherbranch>".   Subsequently committing
> the merge (after fixing conflicts) creates a new changeset "on" the current
> branch.

Indeed, merges are branch-wise operations, not changeset-wise. You need
tricks to copy one changeset from a named branch into another one.

Copying changesets between a stable branch and a devel branch is easy if
the devel history is a strict superset of the stable history. Every
changesets landing into stable can then just be pulled into devel. This
means no different named branches for stable and devel. Not sure I’m
clear enough, I hope Mercurial experts can chime in.

Regards