[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration readiness

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sat Jul 3 17:18:05 CEST 2010

Am 03.07.2010 01:54, schrieb "Martin v. Löwis":
>> I don't know about "try" -- personally I don't see a difference for
>> the release procedure, no matter where the source comes from.
>
> I guess you haven't done a release yet, then :-)

That's possible :)

> Assuming you are going to use
>
> https://svn.python.org/projects/sandbox/trunk/release/release.py
>
> then you'll have to port that to Mercurial, first.

True, but it doesn't look too hard.

> Or, you write your own release tool, as any serious release manager did
> so far :-)
>
> As for the Windows build, I don't know how to do "externals", yet.
> In particular, I don't think it is a good idea to have all externals
> in a single Mercurial clone: due to versioning, we have multiple copies
> of them, which will take quite some space.

True.

> As a minor problem: I currently have a batch file head.bat, which
> updates sysmodule.c after a switch to expand HeadURL correctly.
> Not sure whether this will be needed on Mercurial, or whether the
> build identification patch is able to learn about tags in the first
> place.

I have no solution to that from the top of my head, but it will be dealt
with

> Finally, I wonder how the documentation build process will continue to
> integrate subversion. I guess you just need to have an svn binary around
> when building the documentation.

Since I'm giving specific versions in the makefiles anyway, the easiest
solution would be to put them as tarfiles/zipfiles up for download
somewhere on python.org, and have a small script that gets them via urllib.

Georg