[Python-Dev] Fwd: Download Page - AMD64

Michael Urman murman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 21:12:11 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 13:45, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> So to echo what Michael said, the Microsoft nomenclature is "x64"
>> regardless of yours and Martin's objections to that name. Nobody who
>> uses Windows would be confused by "x64" since that is *the* Microsoft
>> naming scheme.
>
> That's actually not entirely true. There are several places in the
> APIs where Microsoft either allows or requires to call the architecture
> AMD64 (e.g. architecture indication in MSI files).

I should have clarified I was talking about the names shown on MSDN
subscriptions for downloading installation media of Windows 7 and
Windows Vista. It's pretty clear in that context Microsoft uses x64 to
describe this platform of Windows. But again, it's far from clear that
this is a term they use for non-developers.

--
Michael Urman