[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 2.7 alpha 2

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Mon Jan 11 08:27:03 CET 2010

Brett Cannon wrote:
> IMO keeping Python 2.x around past 2.7 is the equivalent of python-dev
> saying "Python 3 is the future, but we are keeping the old Python 2.x
> around because we don't have *that* much faith in the future we have
> laid out". That's poison to Python 3 by showing a lack of confidence in
> the direction that the BDFL and python-dev as a group has chosen. Now I
> could be wrong and there could actually be a large number of active
> contributors who want to keep the 2.x series going, but based on the
> discussion that occurred the last time this came up I believe the guys
> who are keeping Python running are ready to move on.

I think this is mostly just a branding issue.  Once the folks who have
historically kept Python 2 running really *do* move on, there will be other
folks who will step up and become maintainers out of necessity: those stuck on
old platforms, permanent stragglers, people who for whatever reason actually
like Python 2 better, etc.  It's just going to happen, there's really nothing
anybody can do about it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this.  If such a group of folks wants
to get together and create another Python 2.X release, there's nothing stopping
them from doing so except the above branding declaration.  I'd personally not
close the door on allowing these folks to call such an effort "Python 2".

- C