[Python-Dev] __file__

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Feb 25 22:08:32 CET 2010

On Feb 03, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

>So what happens when only bytecode is present?

We discussed this at Pycon and agreed that we will not support source-less
deployments by default.  The source file must exist or it will be an
ImportError.

This does not mean source-less deployments are not possible though.  To
support this use case, you'd have to write a custom import hook.  We may write
one as part of the PEP 3147 implementation.  Contributions are of course
welcome!

-Barry