[Python-Dev] Update xml.etree.ElementTree for Python 2.7 and 3.2

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Feb 19 06:40:00 CET 2010

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Le Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:46:41 +0100, Martin v. Löwis a écrit :
>>> It's time to comment and review.
>> Unfortunately, it's not. I strongly object to any substantial change to
>> the code base without explicit approval by Fredrik Lundh.
>
> Which most probably puts elementtree in bugfix-only mode. I don't
> necessarily disagree with such a decision, but it must be quite clear.

My point is that the decision as already made when ElementTree was
incorporated into the standard library; it's the same policy for most
code that Fredrik Lundh has contributed (and which he still maintains
outside the standard library as well). He has made it fairly clear on
several occasions that this is how he expects things to work, and unless
we want to truly fork the code, we should comply.

Regards,
Martin