[Python-Dev] Fault handler updated, now disabled by default

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Dec 23 19:23:17 CET 2010

> The fault handler is disabled by default and it is clearly separated
> (eg. it doesn't touch the API of a module). Can't you make an exception
> for this new feature?

Ultimately, it's for the release manager to decide, so I don't need to
make an exception. However, I think that special cases aren't special
enough to break the rules. I still wish that the beta releases had been
deferred until after the Mercurial switchover, but alas, the release
manager has decided otherwise - explicitly pointing out that the
rationale for releasing beta 1 was to stop accepting new features.

The motivation for freezing features before feature releases is not
so much that existing applications may be affected by API changes
(3.2 will change APIs, anyway, and users fully expect to need some
porting), but that the features that are about to be released need
some time for testing. This specific feature has seen very little
testing. Giving it a full release cycle (i.e. until 3.3) would
somewhat reduce the need for a more careful code review.

Regards,
Martin