[Python-Dev] Remove HTTP 0.9 support

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 17:56:13 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:21:37AM -0500, James Y Knight wrote:
> > Even HTTP 0.9 says that response SHOULD start with status line, but
> > gives a suggestion that clients can "tolerate" bad server server
> > behaviors when they don't send the status line and in that the case
> > response is the body.
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Response.html
> >
> > So, It cannot be associated with the behavior "most webservers", back
> > then and even more so now.
>
> Actually no. That document is describing almost-HTTP 1.0.

Yeah. I know it was almost-HTTP 1.0, but the same docs say that if
protocol version was not specified, it is assumed to be 0.9. So, I
thought it was a good reference point to understand the behavior.

> Here is the actual document you were looking for:
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/AsImplemented.html
>
> HTTP 0.9 had no headers, no status line, nothing but "GET $url <crlf>" and a stream of data in response.

Actually, you are right. I seems be be actual defined behavior of HTTP
0.9. As explained in that above doc and also in RFC 1945 Request
section.

--
Senthil