[Python-Dev] Using logging in the stdlib and its unit tests

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 20:11:48 CET 2010

Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> As a starting point, I'd say warnings and above, no formatting (i.e.
> just the message). To minimise bikeshedding, I'd like to be guided by
> the idea that this is a more configurable alternative to printing
> directly to stderr, but in the absence of application level
> configuration, you wouldn't be able to tell which approach the library
> was using just by looking at the program output.

Makes sense. I know it's only a small change at the implementation level but the
impact may be larger (due to it being a backwards-incompatible behaviour
change), and the little details need to be agreed, so does it make sense to
create a PEP about this? What do people think - is this bureaucratic overkill?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip