[Python-Dev] mingw support?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Aug 13 23:22:43 CEST 2010

Am 13.08.2010 20:45, schrieb Sturla Molden:

>> The problem really is that when people ask for MingW support, they mean
>> all kinds of things,
>
> Usually it means they want to build C or C++ extensions, don't have Visual
> Studio, don't know about the SDK compiler, and have misunderstood the CRT
> problem.

True. However, that should be working just fine, for many years. It just
becomes a hassle every time we switch VS versions, and mingw fails to
support the new CRT version. There is really nothing we can do about
that, other than asking people to complain to the mingw developers.

> As long at Python builds with the free Windows 7 SDK, I think it is
> sufficient to that mingw is supported for extensions (and the only reasons
> for selecing mingw over Microsoft C/C++ on windows are Fortran and C99 --
> the Windows SDK compiler is a free download as well.)

People keep disagreeing with that judgement, and keep contributing
patches that supposed make Python itself build with mingw.

> Enthought (32-bit) ships with a mingw gcc compiler configured to build
> extensions.

Hmm. Including a gcc seems like a lot of overhead, not at least for the
need to provide sources as well.

Regards,
Martin