[Python-Dev] Enhanced tracker privileges for "dangerjim" to do triage.

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 17:09:43 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 5:31 AM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven
<asmodai at in-nomine.org> wrote:
..
> Be careful. Trackers are often hit by spam bots which change random form
> field values. I cannot from memory recall whether or not we had this issue
> on either the tracker tracker or Python's tracker.

I would think a comment area is a more attractive target for spam bots
than "random form field values" such as "assignee" or "priority."
(Note that assignee values that a default user can set may be limited
to themselves and previous assignees.  This will reasonably protect
this field from abuse and allow better tracking of whose court the
ball is in.)

Among the form fields, I would think "nosy" list would be targeted the
most because it allows effectively turning the tracker into a mail
relay, but I don't remember ever seeing it abused.

I also I don't remember ever seeing spam in the bugs.python.org
comments which suggests that the subscription process weeds bots
reasonably well.

+1 on giving dangerjim requested privileges and using his experience
to review and change the default privileges.