[Python-Dev] Python 2.7b1 and argparse's version action

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Apr 19 06:21:55 CEST 2010

> - many optparse programs use the version argument
> - many other programmers find this feature very convenient
> - dropping or deprecating this is a totally unnecessary change
>   (I have not read a single real reason /why/ this should be done).

You actually brought up a good reason yourself:

In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess.

If you ask "give me a version argument", the question is "how is it
spelled?". IIUC, you originally complained that the spelling of argparse
(i.e. -v/--version) is not good, and that a different spelling should be
used. So it's ambiguous, in which case the feature shouldn't be provided
in the first place.

Regards,
Martin