[Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Apr 14 07:17:07 CEST 2010

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> Why is it unavoidable that the Mac build will languish behind others?
>
> Because of lack of volunteers, and expertise (i.e. the experts lack time).
>
>> Are we supporting MacOs or aren't we?
>
> We aren't. Strictly speaking, "we" (python-dev) "support" nothing (in
> the sense that "we" can promise a support hotline, service contracts, or
>  anything in that respect). That includes timely availability of stuff.
> If you want Python "support" on MacOS, contact Apple, ActiveState, or
> any other company that provides actual support.

OK. I should confirm that I mean "support" in your wider sense below.

> In a wider sense of "to support", MacOS is certainly supported by
> Python. There is everything in the source code that you need to make
> Python run on a Mac. Just download the sources and compile them yourself.

And yet we don't regard the Windows release as complete until you have
built the binaries (for which service you deserve many thanks, by the way).

Is the Mac platform one on which users will be happy to compile from
source? I know its users are savvier than Windows users, and have a
better tool set available to them, but they still seem to expect
downloadable installers.

>> Clearly it's not a priority given that nobody has seen fit to (or had
>> time to) reply to this mail in three weeks.
>
> That is not surprising: none of the webmaster people would be able to
> answer the question. python-dev is indeed the right place to ask.

I thought I'd picked this thread off python-dev. What point am I not
understanding here?

regards
 Steve
See PyCon Talks from Atlanta 2010  http://pycon.blip.tv/