[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 376

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Apr 7 18:33:04 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> so for the PEP :
>
> - sys.prefix -> the installation prefix provided by --prefix at
> installation time
> - site-packages -> the installation libdir, provided by --install-lib
> at installation time

How do you actually calculate site-packages?  Would you store the directory
name somewhere?  Would you import the module and look at
os.path.dirname(os.path.dirname(module.__file__))?  Or just scan to see
where the module would be?

If you store the directory name somewhere then you have another absolute
path.  This is why, for simplicity, I thought it should be relative to the
directory where the record file is (lots of extraneous ../, but the most
obvious meaning of a relative filename).

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org