[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 376

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 23:51:23 CEST 2010

Hello,

On behalf of the distutils-SIG, I'd like to propose PEP 376 for
inclusion. This PEP is about defining a standard for installed Python
projects.

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0376/

It was created  :

- to allow interoperability among all package managers.
- to provide a set of APIs in the stdlib to know what's installed (in pkgutil)
- to provide a basic *uninstaller* feature in the distutils2 project.

It is very similar to the retired PEP 262, but closer to the standard
the Setuptools project have created, which is quite used in the
community.

Calendar-wise, I'd love to see it accepted for 2.7 but it might be too
late to finish discussing it (2.7b1 is due in a few days).  So I guess
the next target will be Python 3.2.

One topic has been ignored on purpose in this PEP  : how to describe
in a detailed way the resources file a project contains, and how they
should be installed on a FHS-compliant system (like, a configuration
file should go in /etc and such things)

We are currently focusing our discussion efforts on the resource files
(see the summary work so far here :
http://hg.python.org/distutils2/file/tip/docs/design/wiki.rst) and we
will produce another PEP for that, that will not interfer with PEP
376.

Regards
Tarek

--