[Python-Dev] trunk doctests fail to execute with 2.7 alpha

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 17:53:07 CEST 2010

anatoly techtonik wrote:
> I mean that usually testing tools/libraries are separated from tests
> itself, as well as data. test_support.py is not only located in the
> same directory - it is even named in the same way. The test directory
> looks like a mess with all these aux data files. But it is hard to
> estimate if it would be worthy to separate testing framework from
> tests and test data. It may happen that writing and debugging tests
> become harder, because Python is not locked into some specific usage
> domain.

Tests start with test_*, the support files don't. The only odd one out
was test_support, and that has been fixed for 3.x.

The generalised test frameworks (unittest, doctest) do live in the
standard library. It's only the stuff specific to *our* unit tests that
lives in the test directory (and certainly, things from that directory
will sometimes get generalised and moved to the standard library -
that's how warning.catch_warnings was created).

Cheers,
Nick.