[Python-Dev] Retrieve an arbitrary element from a set withoutremoving it

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Oct 26 21:19:22 CET 2009

Jesse Noller <jnoller <at> gmail.com> writes:

> So far, fiddling with the PEP, I'm on the fence - adding a method to a
> built-in object type is sort of a grey area (at least in my mind). It
> depends on if doing so significantly alters the language/syntax.

We have recently added things like float.fromhex() which IMHO shouldn't be
blocked by the moratorium (*), although they technically add a method to a
built-in.

(*) it is a minor new feature aimed at catching up with some established
standard for an exact, non-ambiguous string representation of floats

Regards

Antoine.