[Python-Dev] [python-committers] On track for Python 2.6.4 final this Sunday?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 17:16:19 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 4:52 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 08:27 AM 10/13/2009 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>
>> Are we on track to release 2.6.4 final this Sunday or do we need
>> another rc?
>>
>> Yesterday, Tarek committed another setuptools related fix and said
>> that he was going to run a bunch of build tests locally.  Tarek, how
>> did that go?

I still need to do some more tests, I didn't have time to try the
various projects under win32.
It's planned to night.

The tests are consisting of compiling and insatling a dozain of
projects on linux and win32 (and bith when possible)

> FWIW, that change won't work to fix the problem on Windows if a package's
> setup.py is written with cross-platform paths (i.e., the usual case).
>
> Also, for the record, it's not really a setuptools-related fix; it's just
> attempting to fix collateral damage caused by the attempt to fix the
> problems caused by the original API change...  which affected all build_ext
> customizations relying on the docstring of the changed method, not just the
> one in setuptools.

Yes the doctest was pretty fuzzy about what is an extension name. It's
will be improved in 2.7.

The current code is doing os.path.join()'s to join the Extension name
with the build path,
leading to the collateral damage you are mentioning. To fix the
problem, the API has to be as permissive
as it was before.

I have already three or four tests to fix that problem in
test_build_ext. If you can take a look at them and
think of any other test that would be missing, that would be
appreciated. Another pair of eye is never enough.

Tarek