[Python-Dev] Logging, Unicode and sockets

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 8 21:00:34 CEST 2009

> I've noticed that the socket-based logging handlers - SocketHandler,
> DatagramHandler and SysLogHandler - aren't Unicode-aware and can break in the
> presence of Unicode messages.

I can't understand what the problem with SocketHandler/DatagramHandler
is. As they use pickle, they should surely be able to send records with
Unicode strings in them, no?

OTOH, why is SMTPHandler not in your list?

> I'd like to fix this by giving these handlers an
> optional (encoding=None) parameter in their __init__, and then using this to
> encode on output.

For syslog, I don't think that's appropriate. I presume this is meant to
follow RFC 5424? If so, it SHOULD send the data in UTF-8, in which case
it MUST include a BOM also. A.8 then says that if you are not certain
that it is UTF-8 (which you wouldn't be if the application passes a byte
string), you MAY omit the BOM.

Regards,
Martin