[Python-Dev] a new setuptools release?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 23:02:22 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Sridhar Ratnakumar
<sridharr at activestate.com> wrote:
> PyPM client relies on pkg_resources *only*[1]. Specifically for
>
> 1) the version comparison algorithm:
[...]
> 2) parsing the "install_requires" string:

[...]
> Both these features are definitely worthy of addition to stdlib but only
> after *standardizing* them (like PEP 376 does with .egg-info structure and
> files list). Now that Distribute is getting some visibility, it will be
> extremely good for the community to add distribute-0.7 (which would include
> the above two features apart from others) to the stdlib.

Three remarks :
 - Distutils contains already a version comparison algorithm, and
   the version comparison algorithm is being reworked in PEP 386. The
goal is to provide
   a version scheme that allows adding a field like install_requires
in PEP 341, and would
  allow package manager to compare versions.

 - The roadmap of Distribute includes the splitting you are mentioning

 - I don't think that adding Distribute-0.7 to the stdlib it the best
plan : I'd rather see bits of them
   included in Distutils, with Distribute being an incubator because
its release cycle is shorter.

I will push on python-dev a detailed roadmap of Distutils we had in
mind and what it means for
Python 2.7. Give me a day or so to prepare it.

Regards
Tarek