[Python-Dev] Package install failures in 2.6.3

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Oct 5 23:22:22 CEST 2009

>> My question was less about the political aspects than the technical aspects.
>>  I gather you're saying that the fix to setuptools will make it work in
>> 2.6.3 without inadvertently breaking it for 2.6.2, 2.6.1, and 2.6.0, right?
>>  Have you tried the fix in those older versions to be sure?
>>
>> If, as I hope, the answer to that is "yes", then I strongly support
>> releasing a fixed setuptools instead of reverting the change to Python.
>
> Yes it does.
>
> The fix makes sure build_ext.get_ext_filename still works as it is supposed
> (just returning the extension of a filename depending on the
> environment) under all versions,

I don't think this is factually correct. I assume you talk about
distribute change e07e5309cd2a, right?

While that change arranges to always return a result when called with an
unqualified module name, it doesn't do the additional computation that
setuptools does in that case, which may give something different in case
the extension is a Library or in case _links_to_dynamic is true.

So I would rather expect that distribute is now broken in these cases
(which are seemingly rare, though).

> It's two lines in Setuptools.

But that change may be incorrect.

Regards,