[Python-Dev] OT: detatching from terminal (was: Re: PEP 389: argparse - new command line parsing module)

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 11:38:25 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 09:58:59AM +0100, Paul Moore wrote:
> (Question - is it *ever* possible for a Unix program to have invalid
> file descriptors 0,1 and 2? At startup - I'm assuming anyone who does
> os.close(1) knows what they are doing!)

Normally you don't close fd 0, 1 & 2 but rather redirect them to
/dev/null (a black hole).  That saves you from nastiness when a
library or something misbahaves and tries to use one of those.  It
would have been nice if windows GUI-mode programs as you describe them
would do something similar.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom