[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Nov 12 23:57:50 CET 2009

Ben Finney wrote:
> "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:
>
>> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>> Particularly if the developer is able to add a prominent link to the
>>> project's own support site or mailing list.
>> It's really puzzling that people always assume that people would use
>> comments primarily to get help, or to report problems. It appears that
>> nobody expects users to merely comment, voicing their opinion - yet
>> the comment that triggered this particular thread was precisely that.
>
> I'm reading “the project's own mailing list” as a fine place to do
> exactly that: discuss the project.

No no no: discuss with whom? The commenter may not want to discuss
anything about the project, let alone with the package author. If it's
a positive comment, you may likely only get "me too", anyway; if it's
a negative comment, perhaps the commenter has already given up on the
package, and just wants to warn other users. It's those other users that
then will have problems finding reviews on the mailing list.

Regards,
Martin