[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Nov 12 21:51:06 CET 2009

Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> writes:

> On Nov 12, 2009, at 8:06 AM, Jesse Noller wrote:
>
> > Frankly, I agree with him. As implemented, I *and others* think this
> > is broken. I've taken the stance of not publishing things to PyPi
> > until A> I find the time to contribute to make it better or B> It
> > changes.

I'm updating my existing packages, but I have zero interest in
publishing new packages to PyPI while it's trying to be a popularity
rating and comment system.

> That's distressing. For better or worse PyPI is the central repository
> of 3rd party packages.

That's exactly what we want it to be. The problem is the current
implementation is diluting that focus and making it much less attractive
to have one's packages there.

--
 \          “Rightful liberty is unobstructed action, according to our |
  `\        will, within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of |