[Python-Dev] PEP 3003 - Python Language Moratorium

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 17:25:59 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> The clarification I need is will this in any way influence when
>> modules are removed. If they stay in for the life of a major version
>> then I want it made clear that bug fixes for the code take lower
>> priority over all other code in the standard library.
>
> I think we should be as cautious as ever with removing modules. We've
> had our chance for clean-up without abandon with Py3k; now we should
> stick with our commitment to backwards compatibility. In fact, we
> should probably be *more* conservative than we already were given that
> the amount of code written in Python is always increasing and hence
> the cumulative pain caused by incompatible changes will increase too.
>
> I'm fine with silent deprecations or requiring a flag to turn on
> deprecation warnings (like Java does).
>
> We're not yet at the point where C is, but who wouldn't be next to C
> on the TIOBE index? :-)

I'd take being next to lisp if it meant that we didn't have to become
any more like C ;).

And speaking of TIOBE, my impression- and apparently yours- was
that Python was on its way up, but TIOBE lists us as being down
from a little over a year ago. Anybody know anything about their
methodology?

Geremy Condra