[Python-Dev] PEP 376 : Changing the .egg-info structure

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed May 20 11:48:59 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:36 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> Now, about the APIs...
>
> I think it would be simpler to have explicit object types representing
> things like a directory, a collection of directories, and individual
> projects, and these object types should be part of the API.
>
> Any function-oriented API should just be exposed as the methods of a default
> singleton.  Other Python modules follow this pattern -- and it's what I
> copied for the pkg_resources design.  It gives a nice tradeoff between
> keeping the simple things simple, and complex things possible, as well as
> keeping mechanism and policy separate.
>
> Right now, the API design you're trying to do is being burdened by using
> strings and tuples to represent things that could just as easily be objects
> with their own methods, instead of things you have to pass back into other
> APIs.  This also makes caching more complex, because you can't just have one
> main object with stuff hanging off; you've got to have a bunch of
> dictionaries, tuples, lists, sets, etc.

I don't know how other people work on building APIs in PEPs, but at
this stage I am unable
to work them on the paper, without having a prototype to try things out.

So I guess I'll start this prototype in bitbucket and come back with
it for feedback
in Distutils-SIG, for a new PEP 376 round.

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org