[Python-Dev] Shorter release schedule?

Bugbee, Larry larry.bugbee at boeing.com
Wed May 13 10:01:33 CEST 2009

>From the perspective of this application developer and prototyper...

In general, releases should be more frequent when the language is less
mature and perhaps lacking.  With maturity one seeks stability and less
frequency.  Python is, for the most part, a mature language.

I submit the issue is less a question of frequency, but more a question
of the number and value of each of the new features.

Too many new features added to a mature language begs the question of
simplicity vs complexity.  One of Python's original goals, if I recall
correctly, was to keep life simple, to have executable psuedocode, be
easy to learn and re-learn, and be able to quickly read and grok your
code 6-12 months later.  Ease of maintenance is a huge advantage of
Python.  From an application developer's perspective, too many confusing
features and the language becomes more and more like C++ and APL.

I submit Python is now at the point where new features must not be added
just because they are cool, but because they indeed add significant
value *without* compromising simplicity and the suite of "easy to"
benefits.  The alternative is to rethink the long-term goals for the
language.  That could have large unintended consequences.

Larry