[Python-Dev] PEP 383 update: utf8b is now the error handler

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue May 5 23:44:25 CEST 2009

>     It occurs to me that the PEP maybe should say that it is an error
>     to have your POSIX locale set to UTF-16 or something like that.

No. It is *impossible* to have UTF-16 as the locale character set,
not an error. Your statement is like saying "it is an error to
breathe in the vacuum".

In any case, the discussion says

# Encodings that are not compatible with ASCII are not supported by
# this specification; bytes in the ASCII range that fail to decode
# will cause an exception. It is widely agreed that such encodings
# should not be used as locale charsets.

Regards,
Martin