[Python-Dev] PEP 376

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 10:38:38 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 3:41 AM, Kevin Teague<kevin at bud.ca> wrote:

>> A plural class name looks strange (I think it's the first time I see one
>> in
>> the CPython codebase). How about another name? (DistributionPool,
>> DistributionMap, WorkingSet etc.).
>>
>> Sure, WorkingSet is nice, it's the name used in setuptools,
>>

> A WorkingSet and a DistributionDirectories (or whatever it gets named to)
> are different things though, no?
>
> A WorkingSet is "a collection of active distributions", where each
> distribution might come from different distribution directories:
>
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PkgResources#workingset-objects
>
> Where as DistributionDirectories is a dictionary of locations where
> distributions are installed. The WorkingSet may be comprised of
> distributions from several different locations, and each location may
> contain the same or different versions of the same distribution.

DistributionDirectories can contain directories that are not located
in the same parent
directory, so I find it rather similar besides the "active" feature in
Python doesn't exist (yet)

In any case, maybe picking up a name that is not from setuptools will
be less confusing
for people that uses WorkingSet classes nowadays.

What about using the same names used in Python's site module:
"sitedir" is the name used for
a directory we named DistributionDirectory.

So what about :

DistributionDirectory -> SiteDir
DistributionDirectories ->  SiteDirMap

++