[Python-Dev] Google Wave as a developer communication tool (was: Issues with process and discussions (Re: Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr))

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jun 4 01:41:08 CEST 2009

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> I watched and was greatly impressed by the video demo of Google's new
> Wave collaborative communication system. I believe it would/will help
> with some of the chronic problems we (and others) have.

I watched that too. It appears to be heavily reliant on *very* fast
internet access for participants in a wave. That's far from universal in
the Python community, let alone the internet at large.

It also appears to be heavily reliant on the wave's existence at a
single point of failure (the hosting server): if that one point becomes
unreliable, all participants are hosed.

Neither of these problems exist with email (or NNTP).

--
 \       “Well, my brother says Hello. So, hooray for speech therapy.” |
  `\                                                      —Emo Philips |