[Python-Dev] Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 2 07:47:28 CEST 2009

> If this were a core feature that many developers were anxiously
> awaiting, I could understand the desire to release and iterate. But is
> there really a pressing need for an IP library in the stdlib?

You should have asked this question a few month ago. Now, release
mechanics make it difficult to remove the library, except if a severe
problem was uncovered - which you haven't been able to demonstrate.

I don't believe that your issue "hosts and nets are represented with the
same class" is severe: it is very well possible to use the IP function
to represent individual hosts (including having a string representation
that doesn't print a netmask). The only possibly-missing feature is
support for rejecting host strings that include a mask on parsing; that
can be added in a backwards-compatible way as an optional parameter to
the IP function (as discussed on the tracker).

Regards,
Martin