[Python-Dev] License for code extracted from a Python library?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 14:43:55 CEST 2009

Rocky Bernstein wrote:
> Can a MIT License be used for code extracted from Python's standard
> library? Other comments or suggestions?

The extracted code itself would stay under the PSF license since you
don't have the rights to change the license on that. However, as the PSL
itself is a very permissive license, you can bundle it with code under
whatever other license you or users of your package choose to use (even
proprietary ones).

That said, while I know a fair bit about software licensing I'm not a
lawyer, and even if I was one, I still wouldn't be *your* lawyer, so
take what I have to say with a fairly large grain of salt! :)

Cheers,
Nick.