[Python-Dev] Update to Python Documentation Website Request

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 28 07:12:25 CEST 2009

>>> pythonpkgmgr is not so different to that. And the idea behind it is
>>> to bring consistancy in package management across the different
>>> platforms.
>> At the cost of being inconsistent within a platform.
>
> It has the most generic of user interfaces.

[...]
> So I respectfully say that there couldn't be anything less true than
> the assertion that a GUI package manager is inconsistent within a
> modern GUI desktop environment.

That's not my concern - I'm not worried about how it looks, but what
it does. If it "manages packages", I would expect it to manage them
the same way as the native package manager does, but alas, it doesn't
(IIUC). So there are now two incompatible ways to install a package:
either with the native manager, or with pythonpkgmgr. If you install
them one way, and try to remove them the other way, you lose.

Regards,
Martin