[Python-Dev] Update to Python Documentation Website Request

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Jul 27 12:59:18 CEST 2009

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 19:29:14 +0900, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> My only point is that Windows ain't no embedded system. It's not
>> short on memory or disk space. If a package manager is 5 megabytes
>> extra say, with it's libraries.. what's the extra download time on
>> that ? compared to three days+ stuffing around trying to find out
>> how to install packages for a new user.
>
> The problem is not so much  the size by itself that more code means
> more maintenance burden for python developers. Including new code
> means it has to work everywhere where python works currently, and that
> other people can understand/support the related code. Adding code to a
> project is far from free from python maintainers POV.

Well I concede that you might have a point.

And I know there have been some issues in the past with package
management in python and people being able to understand other
peoples code.

In this specific case, I don't think you'll find the same problems.

pythonpkgmgr is not an entirely self inclusive project. It leverages
on setuptools and pip. I want to extend it to enstall. If there is
any preference towards setuptools - it's only by test-time availability.

In windows, it's built with py2exe. There are some supporting
.dll files that need to go with it from wxpython. They're both really
mainstream python(windows) toolkits.

Everything in pythonpkgmgr is transperant - and was designed to
be. Otherwise there's no point.

If any developers want to join the project with 'commit' privaleges
on the source, I'll make sure it will happen.

If not.. I'm very happy just continuing on with my own merry way...

:-)

David