[Python-Dev] Update to Python Documentation Website Request

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Jul 27 11:42:31 CEST 2009

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:18:25 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
<stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> [1] on
> my part") and sysadmin goals ("something that works and plays nicely
> with the rest of the system").
>
> pythonpkgmgr seems entirely oblivious to the latter issue, and not
> particularly compatible with the way package management works in *nix
> OSS distros (including Linux distros, but also *BSD, MacPorts, and
> Fink).

Well I'm a sysadmin on linux in my day job.

I'm entirely wondering what you mean by that ? I'm oblivious how?

What can a developer mode project, like pythonpkgmgr possibly do
except to make it easier to manage local package space?

A developer shouldn't need to do sudo every time they want
to put or try some python package from pypi. imho that's
wrong and I'm helping to reduce that need.

If the sysadmin puts a package in (/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages)
via the O/S package manager (ie synaptics/yum/apt) then that
should stick over what a developer is doing.

But the developer should be able to stick their own packages
in their own local space.

Correct me if my assertion is wrong.

David