[Python-Dev] mingw32 and gc-header weirdness

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Thu Jul 23 02:28:51 CEST 2009

On 7/22/09 5:17 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 4:40 AM, Antoine Pitrou<solipsis at pitrou.net>  wrote:
>
>> The size of long double is also 12 under 32-bit Linux. Perhaps mingw disagrees
>> with Visual Studio
>
> Yes, mingw and VS do not have the same long double type. This has been
> the source of some problems in numpy as well, since mingw uses the MS
> runtime, and everything involving long double and the runtime is
> broken (printf, math library calls). I wish there was a way to disable
> this in mingw, but there isn't AFAIK.
>
>> on some ABI subtleties (is it expected? is mingw supposed to
>> be ABI-compatible with Visual Studio? if yes, you may report a bug to them :-)).
>
> I think mostly ABI compatible is the best description :)

Well, the source of my problems is simply that I tried to build
an extension for a Visual Studio built Python, using mingw.
Did that, because it seems to be common practice so far.

Maybe the simple solution is to prevent building extensions
with mingw, if the python executable was not also built with it?
Then, all would be fine I guess.

Despite the fact that Python probably has to be changed:
If it is true then all the 32-bit Linux Pythons have a 12
byte GC head, IOW they are *all* badly aligned.
If that matters, of course.

cheers - chris