[Python-Dev] Remove site-packages?!? [was: [Distutils] PEP 376 - from pythonpkgmgr's point of view]

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Wed Jul 22 03:46:11 CEST 2009

On Jul 21, 2009, at 7:38 PM, David Lyon wrote:
> When I go into python on ubuntu I see there is /usr/local/pythonX.X/
> lib/
> site-packages and I'm wondering why the hubba setuptools/distutils
> doesn't put packages there by default. That would solve a lot of
> problems.
>
> Just leave /usr/lib/pythonX.X//lib/site-packages to the O/S.

Uh guys, I'm not sure if anyone here noticed, but Debian and Ubuntu
have switched to install their distribution-supplied python libraries
into:
/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/lib/dist-packages
and distutils by default will install into
/usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/dist-packages

starting with python 2.6.

See:

Since that email says "Discussed this with Barry Warsaw and Martin v.
Loewis", I'd assume this change would be more widely known in the
distutils/python-dev community, but apparently not??

James