[Python-Dev] Remove site-packages?!? [was: [Distutils] PEP 376 - from PyPM's point of view]

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Sun Jul 19 02:49:30 CEST 2009

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 16:07:39 -0400, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com>
wrote:
> What about those people *without* versioning issues?
>
> I have no qualms suggesting that package management programs avoid the
> use of site-packages.  Such programs do need to cater to edge cases.

I'm just wondering how that is possible? Given that a package management
system (pythonpkgmgr - for example) is a tool to assist in the management
of packages in site-packages.

If you take away the drop in directory (site-packages), effectively
you're taking away the place for system drop in packages. I can't see
the point in that.

> But a single drop-it-in directory works great for the vast majority of
> *my* needs; requiring me to drink the Kool-Aid from a specific package
> management system just to get access to any add-ons -- even those I
> wrote myself in pure python -- would be a huge step backwards.

Where you keep your packages is entirely up to you.

Even with the Python Package Manager, you can still have unversioned
packages in project directories. That doesn't change.

And you can still have unversioned packages in site-packages.

So I can't really see that having a Package Manager program
takes your use case scenerio backwards because it wouldn't really
change it.

(repeating)
> But a single drop-it-in directory works great for the vast majority of
> *my* needs;

That's exactly what site-packages is.....

So it isn't clear why you want to remove the thing that you are
advocating works so great....

David