[Python-Dev] Suggested PySys_SetArgv use with a (char **) argv ?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 7 23:46:51 CEST 2009

> Since many C applications take argv as a (char **) it seems reasonable
> for python to keep a function for the C api that accepts a  (char **)
> argument for argv.

I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting: either that there is a
function in the C API that accepts a (char**), or that PySys_SetArgv
be that function.

The latter alternative is out of question, as it breaks the Windows
port of Python - there is simply no way of representing argv with
char** in a meaningful way. It also breaks backwards compatibility.

As for creating another function: please provide a patch to
bugs.python.org. I believe this patch is *very* difficult to
implement, unless the function can accept some severe limitations.

Regards,
Martin