[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: progress report (PEP 385)

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Sat Jul 4 23:05:56 CEST 2009

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 at 12:28, Brett Cannon wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 01:03, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 20:04, Brett Cannon<brett at python.org> wrote:
>>> Fine by me as long as people realize that if anything is questionable
>> then
>>> the switch will not happen. Getting this right takes precedence over any
>>> deadline. And obviously we will need to do at least one live conversion
>> on
>>> python.org hardware to make sure everything will work smoothly.
>>
>> I'm not sure I see the need to do a (live? what does that mean in this
>> context) on python.org hardware.
>

> "Live" as in run through all the steps on python.org hardware w/o hitting
> any final switch that turns off svn.

"Live" should also (and I think this is critical) include a period of at
least a week where we tell python-dev/python-committers "hg.python.org
looks like it is going to look at cutover, please try out the workflow".
The idea would be to have committers actually exercise the workflow on
their platform for at least one patch, including whatever replaces
the svnmerge step.

I can almost guarantee we will find some issues that need to be resolved,
and that people won't try it out thoroughly until it is "live".

--David