[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: progress report (PEP 385)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Jul 4 00:03:09 CEST 2009

On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:00 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> I'm -1 on calling it "sys.revision", as this makes it difficult to
> tell what the actual versioning system was, and hence how the
> data should be interpreted. It will already be a problem for 2.6,
> when 2.6.3 will currently have a sys.subversion[2] of 'dd3ebf81af43',
> which will surely crash existing applications.

I can release a 2.6.3 right before the cut-over (well, just about any
time between now and August 1st).  Should we just plan now for a 2.6.3
on say July 24th, with a release candidate on July 20th?

> I'm not sure what the motivation for a sys.revision is; it's
> probably similar to the desire of calling the machine code.python.org
> (instead of hg.python.org). It gives the illusion of being agnostic
> of the actual RCS being used. However, this is a complete illusion:
> anybody using it (either code.python.org, or sys.revision), *cannot*
> be agnostic of the specific technology.

Agreed.  I originally chose code.python.org because I didn't want to
be biased (maybe I should have been :).   +1 for hg.python.org.  I'd
prefer to spell out sys.mercurial_revision.

-Barry