[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: progress report (PEP 385)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jul 3 22:49:57 CEST 2009

> It will handle it, for sure, but I think it would all go easier if we
> could work with stricter subset branches (and leave the effective
> cherrypicking for the occasional problem).

So I think the PEP should propose a workflow (or: merge flow) if you
think we would be better off with a different one.

In proposing such a workflow, consider these requirements:
- we current have four active "maintenance" branches (i.e. where
  the entire code basis evolves): trunk, 3k, 2.6, and 3.1 (3.0
  also until this morning).
- in addition, we have two security branches currently: 2.4 and
  2.5, although 2.4 will be closed soon.
- our committers consistently refuse to merge changes across
  branches themselves, and likely continue to do so unless there
  is some feature of hg that I missed (e.g. one were merging
  would happen without any user specifically asking for it)

Regards,
Martin