[Python-Dev] Bytes, Strings, Encoding

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Thu Jul 2 03:48:52 CEST 2009

2009/7/1 Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on the subprocess.Popen module for Python 2.7 and am now moving
> my changes over to Python 3.1 however I am having trouble with the whole
> byte situation and I can't quite seem to understand how to go back and forth
> between bytes and strings. I am also looking for the Python 3k equivalent
> for the Python 2.X built-in buffer class.

Look at the "memoryview" type as a replacement for buffer.
io.Buffered* is not the same.

> One version of the file with my modifications can be found here  <
> http://code.google.com/p/subprocdev/source/browse/subprocess.py?spec=svn5b570f8cbfcaae859091eb01b21b183aa5221af9&r=5b570f8cbfcaae859091eb01b21b183aa5221af9
>>. Lines 1 - 15 are me attempting to get around certain changes between
> Python 3.0 and Python 2.7. Further down on line 916, we have the function
> "send" and "recv" in which I am having the most trouble with bytes and
> strings.

You translate between bytes and strings through encoding and decoding.
Have you read https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Unicode?

> Any help is appreciated. Feel free to comment on my blog
> http://subdev.blogspot.com/ or reply to the last.

Have you talked with your mentor about these things?

--
Regards,
Benjamin