[Python-Dev] I would like an svn account

Ulrich Eckhardt doomster at knuut.de
Sat Jan 3 19:24:07 CET 2009

On Saturday 03 January 2009 17:36:04 Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> > As far as your goal is concerned, couldn't you live with a branch where
> > you develop the feature?
>
> That still doesn't help the change getting merged into the trunk.
> Whether you store it in a patch file, in a DVCS, or in the very same
> VCS-but-different-branch - these are all minor details, which may affect
> the efficiency of producing and technically integrating the patch. It
> doesn't help to the least in speeding up reviews of the patch, or
> reduces the amount of work necessary to do a review.

This is true...

> > Actually, I'd like such a branch, too, where I could move much quicker
> > and in particular with the backing of a VCS to port Python to MS Windows
> > CE. Currently, I'm tempted to pull the code into a private repository,
> > which causes problems when I want to push it back upstream.
>
> [I guess you aren't happy with the DVCS systems, such as bazaar, which
> supposedly work perfect in exactly this case. I won't blame you for
> that, but still, consider trying out one of them for this project]

I tried bazaar, but it's just too much to tackle at once: porting to CE,
learning BZR and maintaining a feature branch on trunk (though the latter
should not be too difficult, according to BZR's reputation).

> We can setup such a branch, unless you reconsider and try bazaar first.
> There wouldn't be any pushing it back upstream, though - you would still
> need to go through the tracker for all changes. The only advantage I
> can see is that it simplifies repeated merging of the trunk into your
> branch.

Actually, now that I think about it, I must admit that it doesn't really
matter to me whether I use a local mirror or work on a remote branch. The
problem is still splitting up the whole port into pieces that can be digested
(read: reviewed) at a time. Since I'm confident with the use of SVN, I'll for
now stay with it and a local mirror, but any single change that can be
submitted will be submitted, hopefully to have something working here soon.

Cheers!

Uli