[Python-Dev] Closing outdated Mac issues

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Feb 16 05:09:14 CET 2009

In article
<2d75d7660902151517p22440361u76f686dc2f0e1e4e at mail.gmail.com>,
 "Daniel (ajax) Diniz" <ajaksu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brett Cannon wrote:
> > As of Python 2.6 everything Mac-specific is deprecated and in 3.0 they
> > are gone (you can read PEP 3108 for the details or just note that the
> > Mac/Modules directory is gone in 3.0). They will still be around in 2.7,
> > though, as these are Py3K deprecations.
> OK, I've now read PEPs 3108 and 11, but still would like some ruling
> about RFEs in these stagnated Mac modules. Maybe PEP 4 could include a
> note about RFEs in deprecated modules?
> > Not sure what has been left in
> > the Mac directory, but I think it is just random scripts (I never use
> > the Mac-specific stuff so I don't know how useful some of them are to
> > keep).

Other than Mac/Modules, the rest of the Mac/ directory is mainly stuff
used for building or going into the OS X installer images, including
things like IDLE.app.  These are used in 2.x and in 3.x.

> There are 40 C files, two headers and 69 python files in /Mac in
> trunk. The 2.6 (and 2.5.x) docs say development has stopped and that
> they'd be replaced in 2.5. So ISTM closing RFEs for these modules
> would be an improvement.
>
> > Honestly, fixing them is fine but since the modules are deprecated but
> > still in existence in 2.x, but they are definitely nothing above a
> > normal priority issue.
> OK, I'll let the bug reports open. What about RFEs?

I think the reasonable thing to do is close them as "not to be
fixed/implemented".  At this point, the chances that someone would fix
them are pretty slim and, in many cases, I'm sure the module is either
obsolete because other, and better supported, solutions are now
available, like PyObjC or appscript.  If people feel strongly about an
issue, they can always ask to re-open it.

Taking a quick look at your list, the only ones that may be worth
looking at are the plistlib ones since it lives on in 3.x.  I think all
the rest are deprecated and gone in 3.x.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org