[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 345 : Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 12:18:59 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:54, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> This == operator is fairly common in Debian. For example, the apache2
>> package installed on my system specifies
>
> Oh, absolutely, but that's when you specify interdependencies between
> packages. Nobody makes a Python package for generic use and say "you
> should only use this with Python 2.5.0 and nothing else".
> Specifying
> zope.interfaces 1.2.3 for zope.component 1.2.3 makes a lot of sense,
> but specifying only Python 2.5.0?

It's quite improbable but it could technically happen. For example,
let's say I create a third-party project that provides a specific
workaround for a bug that was founded in Python 2.5.0 but fixed in
Python 2.5.1.

IOW defining how versions work should be a set of explicit rules that
shouldn't rely on assumptions made on their usage in some specific
projects, but rather provides something that covers all needs.

Regards,
Tarek