[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 345 : Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Dec 28 10:23:04 CET 2009

Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> writes:

> What happened is that Martin came late in the discussions in
> Distutils-SIG after I've forwarded the final mail in Catalog-SIG and
> after I did send it here (the mail where I said "Here's the mail I'll
> send to python-dev for PEP 345, if anyone sees a problem or something
> to add")

I was under the impression that previous art was being followed in the
area of specifying dependencies. That previous art being the many
existing dependency systems, which use obvious comparison operators (the
‘>’ ‘>=’ ‘<’ ‘<=’) and no range operators or implicit ranges.

> So, if no one object, I propose to continue this thread about the way
> range should be compared, to see if we meet a consensus quite soon. If
> not, I guess we can go back to distutils-SIG and invite people over
> there, as we did for other topics.

Please, keep the operators simple and obvious, drawing on the existing
conventions in other systems, so there's no need to have bike-shedding
discussions over new syntax.

--
 \         “Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first |
  `\     principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the |