[Python-Dev] Unittest/doctest formatting differences in 2.7a1?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Dec 9 18:55:45 CET 2009

On 09/12/2009 17:23, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> [snip...]
>> Evolving the tests to avoid depending on these sorts of implementation
>> details is reasonable, IMO, and cuold even be considered a bugfix by
>> the Zope community.
>>
> Evolving doctest.py so it can handle this by itself would be
> considered a bugfix by me. :)

That may or may not be possible (it certainly sounds like a good
change). You still haven't told us what change it is that breaks things,
so it is a little hard to know what to fix.

Some of the unittest failure messages have changed as well, and it is
just as likely to be those. Some of them were truly awful (default error
message for assertTrue was "AssertionError: None") so I would be very
reluctant to revert those.

Even if doctest is changed (more templating so that you can specify
exception messages more easily) it will probably still require some
changes to the tests. Finding an alternative testing technique for your
test runners may or may not be more work...

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog